Friday, March 4, 2011

Customers 19

A young girl, maybe early 20's, black hair, dark grey eyeliner, black jeans, a black sweatshirt, a heart tattoo by her left eye and more tattoos visible on her neck, asked if we can ship something from the store.

"To a facility?", I asked, pretty sure she was asking about sending something to a correctional facility. She nodded. I explained that she can select items from the store to be sent to a prison or jail, but we have to treat it like a ship-to-home order where the items come from a warehouse, not from the store.

"What about magazines?", she asked.

"Some facilities don't accept magazines."

"Oh, this one does. I've done it before," she said in her quiet voice.

"Okay," I said. "I thought we couldn't send magazines from the store, but let me check just to make sure." I called the manager and she said that jails accept magazines but prisons don't. I told her and asked her if it was a prison or a jail.

"It's a prison," she said, "But they do accept magazines. They just can't be sent from ME."

"Let me check again," I said. I called the manager back. She said that as far as she knew, prisons wouldn't accept magazines. I asked if we could do it if the customer would assume the risk, that if the magazines never arrived, she wouldn't be able to get her money back. The manager agreed that we could do it.

"Okay, the manager said that we can send them, but it has to be through UPS, and some facilities don't accept UPS packages, or rather, some do not get to the intended recipient. Sometimes we send something, and the customer will come in and tell us that it never arrived and we don't know why. Maybe someone is having a bad day and refuses the shipment. You need to know that if that happens, you're just out the money. We can send it, but if it doesn't arrive, you're just out the money."

"Okay, I understand. I appreciate all your help."

"You might want to only do one or two, just in case it doesn't get there, then you're not out too much money," I said.

"That's a good idea. Thank you SO much for all your help."

She was so sweet. I wanted to ask her two questions...
1) What's he in for? and
2) Are you all right?

*******************

A woman, maybe mid-50's, short brown hair, wearing a brown suede jacket and a scarf comes up to the register. She puts a book on the counter with a receipt in it. It's a book by Laura Schlessinger.

      Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives

"I need to return this," she said.

"Okay, is there anything wrong with it?", I ask.

"No. Nothing wrong with the book. I bought it for my niece, but nothing can help her." She sighed.

"Well, at least you're thinking about her and trying to help," I said. "Sorry this didn't work out."

*******************

A woman, 60-ish, graying brown hair, black corduroy pants, black and white jacket, came up to the register to purchase a book...

      How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better

"I'm going to get this and do what it says. I'll look 10 years younger by this afternoon!"

I laughed. "Sounds great! Maybe I'll have to get that book!"

*******************

A young couple came up to the register. He: 20's, crewcutshort reddish blond hair, some minor facial hair. About 5'8". She: 20's, long blond hair, about 5'9", wearing a beige wool coat. They are buying two books and a bookmark. He adds another bookmark that (evidently) had her initial on it.

"Don't let him buy that," she tells me, laughing. "Oh wait," she says to him, "it has a dog paw on it!"

"Because you love your dog so much," he said.

"I DO love my dog," she said. "This is perfect." She turns to me. "Okay, he can buy this."

"What kind of dog do you have?" I asked.

"He's half border collie and half we-have-no-idea-what-he-is," she said. She gets her phone and pulls up a picture of her dog to show me.

"Is he still a puppy?" I asked.

"No, he's a long way from being a puppy, but he's still a puppy to me."

"He is adorable. What's his name?" I ask.

"His name is Dewars." She paused. "Yep," she said. "I named my dog after alcohol."

"I think that's a pretty great name," I said.

"Thank you!" She was laughing as they left the store.

*******************

Thanks for stopping by the blog! You can send email to 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever a young woman comes in to send stuff to a facility, I just want to say... "Really?"

    I know, I know, true love knows no bounds or whatever BS cliche, but... For me, I would say that actually being bound and imprisoned might make me change my mind...

    But what do I know? I'm crazy after all.

    (PS, this is James with a NEW blog now... and I even wrote in it... yay!).

    ReplyDelete