Monday, March 7, 2011

Can't Read Fast Enough

It's that way, isn't it? For a while it's hard to find a book to settle into, and now I can't read fast enough to keep up with all the books I want to read.

I just started and am devouring ANNABEL by Kathleen Winter. Recently published in the U.S., it's been winning awards in Canada for its luminous writing. Comparisons will be made to MIDDLESEX by Jeffrey Eugenides, as they both deal with hermaphroditism. MIDDLESEX I read and greatly enjoyed. I am liking ANNABEL even better.

        Annabel: A Novel

Next up is ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT by Jeanette Winterson, a British writer. Semi-autobiographical, she writes about growing up in an evangelical Christian home and discovering her lesbianism.

        Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit


After that might be DELIRIOUS by Daniel Palmer. A thriller, I was interested after reading the first page and discovering that the action starts out in Marin County, California, where I grew up. (Which I know isn't enough by itself to make a good story, but it's a good start for me!)

        Delirious: Exclusive Bonus!

And just yesterday I just saw BLOOD WORK: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution by Holly Tucker, chronicling the conflict between religion and medicine in the 17th century with blood transfusions and looking at the same conflict today with stem cell research and cloning.

        Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution

Happy reading to one and all!

You can send email to: 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading less since I started writing my blog. I also got several paperbacks passed from my mom and another friend but just when I was fresh out of reading material I got the book from YOU! But now...I hesitate to start it because I don't want to plow right through. So I'm saving it for a treat. Kind of like the sealed box of Girl Scout thin mints in the freezer!
    All your upcoming books look great! Enjoy your feast.

    ReplyDelete