Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Customers 35


A young woman, early 20's, long hair piled in a bun, wearing a big scarf around her neck came to the Information desk.

"Can I help you find something?", I asked.

"Yes, I'm looking for A CABIN IN THE WOODS? Do you have it?", she asked.

"CABIN IN THE WOODS? From the movie?", I asked, trying to get clarification. I was not aware of a book from the recent horror/comedy movie, but maybe there was one. "It was a in the theaters fairly recently, is there a book?"

"Um, I don't think so," she said. "Um, there's a guy? And he's in a cabin? In the woods?..." She trailed off.

"Is it...THE SHACK?", I asked.

"That's it!", she said.

"Right over here, I'll show you. That we do have."

**********************

A man, late 70's, early 80's, white hair and moustache, came to the counter. I asked him if he had one of our member cards and he said he did, but told me I'd have to look up his membership with the phone number.

"Sure," I said. "What's your phone number?"

He told me his number, which had a nice repetition of numbers for the last four digits.

"That's an easy number to remember," I said.

"I'll have to tell you how I got that number," he paused. "I was calling the phone company and they gave me a number that I didn't like. My wife didn't like this very much, she was sitting right there, and I told the woman from the phone company: 'My wife is feeble-minded. I need a number that's really easy to remember,' and they gave us this one! My wife didn't like that so much." He shook his head and smiled.

"So she didn't need to have an easy number?", I asked.

"Nope. She was madder than anything, hearing me tell that woman that she was feeble minded," he said, still smiling.

"But you got a good number!" I was laughing. He was too.

Thanks for reading the blog! You can send us email: 2of3Rs(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You can also "like" us on our facebook page, NOT The New York Times Book Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment