Tuesday, April 24, 2012

World Book Night and St. George's Day


Okay, I missed the boat on this one. World Book Night is tonight.
(Read my blog entry about this here: http://notthenewyorktimesbookreview.blogspot.com/2012/01/back-in-saddle.html)

I missed the deadline for signing up to distribute books. The bookstore where I work is participating in World Book Night, providing books for people to distribute. We had boxes of books come into the store, and over the last week or so, people have come in to pick up the books they will distribute. They are free! What a wonderful event!

(I need to be more proactive next year and sign up earlier.)

In addition to World Book Night, today is also St. George's Day! In an earlier blog post, I describe this as my new favorite holiday
(You can read that blog post here: http://notthenewyorktimesbookreview.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-new-favorite-holiday.html)

I do love the idea of a holiday for giving a book to my beloved, not just any gift, but a BOOK.

This year I chose OLIVE KITTERIDGEicon. (And the reason I am writing this on St. George's Day but posting it after April 23 is so that a certain someone doesn't read about her St. George's Day present before she receives it!) I have not read it, and it's been selling steadily since it won the Pulitzer Prize in 2009. Since no book was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction this year, it seemed fitting to choose a Pulitzer Prize winning book as my St. George's Day gift.

       

I've also heard that it's kind of dark. And maybe even depressing. But really well written. My certain someone does tend to like books that explore the darker aspects of humanity and life, so I'm hoping that this will be a good choice for her.

Did any of you receive a St. George's Day book? Or did you give one?

You can tell us about your St. George's Day right here on the blog by leaving a comment. You can also send email to us: 2of3Rs(AT)gmail(DOT)com. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this mean old math teacher so dearly. Olive holds a Maine of the past in her cupped hands, just a little too tight.

    I gave The Snow Child...

    ReplyDelete