Saturday, December 18, 2010

Differences of Opinion and A Weighty Matter

A woman with short gray hair came up to the counter with a book.

"My husband is SUCH a narrow-minded conservative! I can't reason with that man. I don't even want him to turn on the news any more, especially if Sarah Palin is on it." She paused, sighing."Do you have The Rise and Fall of Modern American Conservatism? I think he should read it. No, he needs to read it."

               The Rise and Fall of Modern American Conservatism: A Short History

I checked the inventory. "No, I'm sorry, we don't have it in. I could order it for you, if you'd like."

"No, that's all right. I'll find something else. I just want to get him to THINK about things, he gets so stuck in his ideas! And he thinks Sarah Palin is completely ready to be president! Oh, we go around and around about that one. I can't believe he even thinks that way. The arguments we have!"

"It sounds like it. Anything else I can help you with today?", I said.

"I'll just get this." She sounded resigned. "HE'LL love it. It's right up his alley. It'll just give us more to argue about." She sighed.


               48 Liberal Lies About American History: (That You Probably Learned in School)

"Well, thanks for shopping with us. Have a good day. Good luck at home.", I said.

"Oh yeah, it'll be great.", she said, smiling and waving and shaking her head.

****************************

An older woman, wearing a brown sweater and jeans came up to the counter. She was breathing heavily. In her arms was a cardboard mailing package. She heaved it onto the counter.

"I have a return. I ordered this online and I need to return it." She pulled a hardcover copy of Tom Clancy's new book, Dead or Alive out of the mailer.

"Sure, no problem. Is there anything wrong with it?", I ask (just in case there are pages missing and we need to send it back to the publisher instead of putting it on the shelf.)

"Well, yeah, 950 pages is wrong with it! I can't even hardly lift this thing. Even before this one I thought Tom Clancy's books were a little long...but THIS one..." She shook her head, and smiled too. "I just don't want it."

I laughed. "Sure, we can return it. No problem."


               Dead or Alive (Jack Ryan)

Thanks for stopping by and reading the blog! You can send email to: 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment