Friday, September 3, 2010

The Genie Lady, The Dallas Cowboys, and Red-Hot Sex


That was the second time he's been in. Both times he's worn a Dallas Cowboys jersey with the name Romo on the back and a Dallas Cowboys baseball cap, and shoes with colors that match. He looked like he was in his 40's. He came to make sure that the book he wanted is still on hold for him. What is the book? Sports Illustrated The Dallas Cowboys: 50 Years of Football. A nice hardcover book. He wanted to buy it but didn't have enough money. Each time he's been in he's asked me to hold it longer. "Until payday." So today was the last day of his second extended hold. Tomorrow I'll have to take it off the hold shelf. What do you want to bet that he comes in, in his Cowboys regalia, to put it on hold yet again?

Sports Illustrated The Dallas Cowboys: 50 Years of Football(Amazon)      (Barnes and Noble)

********************

A man who looked to be in his mid-50's, graying hair, moustache, brought two of the same book up to the counter, Cosmo's Guide to Red-Hot Sex. "I'm getting two," he said. "His and hers, if you know what I mean", he said, leaning over the counter toward me. "This way we can read and ask each other questions. You know, how things are going", he said, leaning in further. His nudge-nudging and wink-winking' was more pronouncement than innuendo. "This'll be great", he said with a big smile. He started flipping through the book. I was glad he was pleased with his purchase, but I didn't need to know any more about how he was going to be using the books. "That'll be $17.96, please," I said.

Cosmo's Guide to Red-Hot Sex(Amazon)      (Barnes & Noble)

********************

The Genie Lady came into the store today! Of course I didn't know who she was when she came up to the register. She told me her name, told me she'd had a book on order but it had been several weeks ago.

"It was the Encyclopedia of Spirits", she said. "I want to find out about genies."

"Ah, yes, I remember that order", I told her. If you'll remember, I pulled the book from the hold shelf because the order had expired. I checked the store inventory. The book was no longer in the store. I told her that the book wasn't there, and would she like to order it? Have me check another store?

"There isn't much about genies available", she said. "I'd like to see this book." She decided to have it sent to her home. She didn't seem disappointed or frustrated that the book was gone. It was a warm day, and she mentioned several times how warm she was. One eye seemed to look in a different direction than the other.

When it came in before, I looked at it, because I knew it was for her and I wanted to know, DID it talk about the "rules" about genies? There wasn't anything in there about genie rules. Not much at all about genies. It talked about djinn being kind of related to genies, but that was about it. I couldn't figure out how to tell her, or if I should tell her, that I'd looked at the book because I was trying to see what a book did say about genies because I'd heard about her (most interesting) request. After she left, I did do a search for any other books there might be about genies, but found nothing. I have a feeling she may be back after she's looked at the book she ordered to return it. How DOES one find out the rules about genies?

Note: You can email me, Bibliophile, at 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom
I can thank Therapist for the clever email address...if you read it out -
two of three R's, and the one I don't do is 'rithmetic. In case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment