Saturday, October 22, 2011

Jack Finney

Jack Finney would have been 100 years old this month. Ah, Jack Finney...

I've always loved to read, but it was Jack Finney's TIME AND AGAIN that sparked my realization that books could change my perception of reality. In a good way.

         

Simon Morley works in advertising. He is approached to be part of a government experiment. He has to sign on without knowing anything about the project. They have him going back in time.

How he gets there, what he does, where he goes and what happens when he gets there are brilliantly done. Jack Finney was a master storyteller.

Sally, my extremely literate high school friend, recommended TIME AND AGAIN to me. She told me to read it carefully. I read how I usually did, by devouring the story. My reading was not as careful as it needed to be to pick up all of the plot twists that made the end make sense (Sally's dad didn't read it carefully enough either, so I didn't feel so bad). Sally had to fill me in on the bits I'd missed. (well, one crucial, mind-bending bit). It was a most delicious read.

One of my all time favorite books, I am grateful for Jack Finney's world-expainding writing.

You can subscribe to the blog via email right on this page! You can "like" us on our facebook page, NOT the New York Times Book Review, and you can send us email: 2of3Rs(AT)gmail(DOT)com. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment