Friday, January 14, 2011

What Some Booksellers are Reading

The store manager started it. She made it her staff recommendation for this month and is telling everyone (staff and customers) to buy it and read it.

And we are.

         

David Levithan, creative author that he is, tells a love story through dictionary definitions. Small and spare, one definition to a page, some of the entries are luminous with insight and poignancy. Alternating between being on the cusp of a new and lovely relationship and the messy and sometimes heartbreaking middle, each entry gives insight into the relationship.

In quiet moments at the store (which we're now beginning to have again now that the holiday rush is slowing down), we've been reading entries out loud to each other.

Some of my favorites...

"blemish, n.
The slight acne scars. The penny-sized, penny-shaped birthmark right above your knee. The dot below your shoulder that must have been from when you had chicken pox in third grade. The scratch on your neck - did I do that?
The brief transcript of moments, written on the body, is so deeply satisfying to read."

"encroach, v.
The first three nights we spent together, I couldn't sleep. I wasn't used to your breathing, your feet on my legs, your weight in the bed. In truth, I still sleep better when I'm alone. But now I allow that sleep isn't always the most important thing."

Some of my other favorites...meander, latitude, corrode,elegy, nomenclature, contiguous, paleontology, sacrosanct, woo.

Oh my, what a wonderful book.

1 comment:

  1. I am intrigued.

    Intrigue, v.
    To arouse the curiosity or interest of by unusual, new, or otherwise fascinating or compelling qualities; appeal strongly to; captivate. Reading a blog post and wanting to read the book mentioned.

    ReplyDelete