Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Possible Staff Recommendation Themes

We have a new guy at work. I asked him to select a book for this month's Staff Recommendations, and told him about how we do that.

"There's usually a theme, you pick a book, write a little blurb, I type it up and we put it on the bay for customers to see. There didn't used to be a theme, but one (long, slow) Fourth of July here at the store, we got the idea of having a theme. The first theme we came up with was that the author of whatever book they picked had to have a birthday in August (the upcoming month). For October the theme was the scariest book they'd ever read. This month it's Books We LOVE (leading into Valentine's Day)." (The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan on the top shelf.)

"Oh, I see," he said. "So how about a month where you pick books where you hated the ending?"

I laughed. "That's probably not the best way to sell the books. I sure like the idea, though, and I know exactly which one I'd pick. The Horse Whisperer. A friend of mine read it and she threw it across the room as soon as she finished the last page because she was so disgusted with the ending. I read it and agreed with her, I thought the ending was a cop out."

He laughed. "Okay, right, probably not the best."

For the rest of the day I was thinking of other possible themes, some of which may be showing up in our Staff Recommendations Bay in the near future...

Desert Island Book...one book you'd take to a desert island.

A Book That Made Me Laugh Out Loud

A Book That Changed My Life

The Most Moving Book I Ever Read

Anyone have any other ideas of themes that might help SELL books?

Thanks for stopping by the blog...you can send email to 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment