Friday, December 14, 2012

Shootings


Tuesday I was in the breakroom at work. One of the managers came in and asked, "Do you know anyone at our Clackamas store?"

"Yeah, lots of people, why?", I answered, thinking of my former co-workers who are now working at that store.

"There's been a shooting at the mall. One of the managers from over there called to let us know that they are all all right, just so we know."

"Oh my god," I said. I immediately texted a few of my friends who work at that store. Employees there was okay, though they were all on lockdown in the breakroom with some customers.

All afternoon and into the evening, staff and customers at my store were checking in with each other and with people we knew from other stores. The gunman had killed two people and then himself.

Last night I went to play trivia with some of my former co-workers, some of whom work at Clackamas and were there the day of the shooting. I wouldn't say that we were all sober and serious. There was joking and laughing and, of course, trivia (we came in second). There was also checking in, asking how everyone was doing, no really. And there were honest answers about being shaken up and scared. There was also a deeper note of being glad to be there, of being glad to see people face to face and know that friends were okay.

This morning's news about the shooting in Connecticut is beyond shocking. An elementary school, for God's sake. At least 26 dead, 18 of them children. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the terror that this school and community has experienced and will live with forever.

My hope is that Newtown and Clackamas receive support and love they will surely need to live through these horrific events and beyond.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment