Friday, May 6, 2011

Hospital Reading

Hospital reading is of a different sort than regular reading. Not that the books are different, necessarily, but the reading itself is different. There is a lot of waiting when someone is in the hospital - waiting for tests, waiting for results, waiting for the doctor to come by, waiting for meals, etc. And then there is picking up where one has left off after the results have come. And with the waitee's heightened emotional state of waiting for results or doctors for a loved one's condition...well, I've found it harder to concentrate when reading at the hospital.

When my mom had her stroke 8 years ago, my brother and I flew down and I brought Bill Bryson's (then) new book, A SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING. He hadn't brought a book, so we shared it. The deal was, whoever was at the hospital got to have the book. We tag teamed it, with staying at the hospital, running errands, taking care of the house, and reading the book.

This time there is another stroke. A different family member. Different books. I'm reading NEEDFUL THINGS by Stephen King. Recommended by a co-worker - it's his selection for the 100 handsell challenge book.

What I like about Stephen King is that he sets up a lot of characters and their individual situations and keeps them all going really well.

Therapist said she thought it was one of King's creepier ones. I'm about halfway through the book, and it's getting bad. It seems like the situation is always getting bad with Stephen King. And I have a feeling it's going to get worse, way worse, in Castle Rock.

It's a good book to take to the hospital, and this time I don't have to share!

Thanks for stopping by the blog! You can send email to: 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom

No comments:

Post a Comment