Friday, May 13, 2011

First Call of the Day

First phone call of the day…

Me: Thanks for calling, how can I help you?

Customer: I used to come in there and order books but now I’ve moved away. Can I order a few books and have them sent to me here?

Me: Sure. Let me look up the books and make sure they are available.
Customer: The first one is called The Parents’ Guide to Preventing (mumblemumble).

Me: Okay, the title is: The Parents’ Guide to Preventing…what was that last word?

Customer: (a little louder) (Mumble).

Me: I’m sorry, I’m not hearing you very well. Can you say that last word again?
Customer: (louder) (MUMBLE).

Me: I’m sorry, could you spell that for me?

Customer: Spell it?

Me: Yes, please.

Customer: h-o-m-s-e-x-u-a-l-i-t-y

Me: Ah. Got it. So it’s The Parents’ Guide to Preventing Homosexuality?

Customer: Yes. and I have another title. You can send them here? We moved to a retirement community up here. The next title is Can Homosexuality Be Cured? by MacNutt.

Me: Yes, both of those titles are available to order.

I finish processing the order and get his payment information. After I ring the order into the register, he says…

What email address do you have?

I tell him (again) what email address I have and he says…

Oh, that’s not the right email address. This is the right one.

And he gives me a new email address. I tell him I’ll send the receipt to him and hang up. Because I’d already rung the order through, I had to call our customer service line to get the email address changed. And I had to call them three times because they hadn’t received the order yet, so couldn’t change it in the system.

Therapist said that when he told me the second title I should have said, “Actually, I know the answer to that. You don’t even need a book for that.” But I didn’t. Instead I provided excellent customer service to a man buying books I absolutely disagree with.

Thank you for stopping by the blog! You can send email to: 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment