Monday, November 1, 2010

Customers 14

A common reason people return books is because they get it home and realize they've already read it. People don't usually make the mistake of buying a book that reflects the opposite of what they believe. But it happens.

A man brought two books up to the register, one to return, one to purchase. "I bought THIS one (Tears of a Clown), when I was supposed to buy THIS one (Broke). Can I return this one?", he asked.

"Sure thing," I said.

      Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America     Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure

*****************************

A man brought a book to the register to return. Have a New You by Friday. I asked if there was anything wrong with the book, trying to get at the reason for the return.

       Have a New You by Friday: How to Accept Yourself, Boost Your Confidence & Change Your Life in 5 Days

"No, nothing wrong with it. It's just that it's only Monday now, and I don't want to wait until Friday to have a new me." He paused.

"Just kidding," he said.

I liked it.

******************************

A man, maybe in his 60's, olive green polo shirt, sandy hair, a little jowly, came up to the register with two gift cards, each with $25 printed on them.

"I'd like to find out if there's even a balance on these. I don't know if there's any money left on them, I just found them."

"Sure thing, let me check for you. Yep, each one still has $25."

"Wow, that's great," he said shaking his head. "My sister just died, and I found them when I was cleaning out her things. I was coming over this way anyway and thought I'd see if they still had money on them. It's like a gift from her from the great beyond. Wow. All right, I need to do some shopping then."

About 45 minutes later he brought up a wide variety of items for checkout, including a large Playboy book in a box, a yoga book, some gift notepads, and a book on history from World War II. "I'm getting presents for everybody in the family. I think that's what she would have wanted. I hope I picked out what she would have picked for people. Oh wait, let me get some chocolate too...one of each kind."

"That's great, what a wonderful way to remember her for your family," I said.

The books totaled over $200. "This will be great. It's like she's giving to us even now. She was only 61. But this is wonderful. Thank you for your help!"

Send email to: 2of3RsATgamilDOTcom. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment