Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath...on audio


It was time to read THE GRAPES OF WRATHicon. I had some significant driving time coming up so got the audio version.

     

One of my co-workers really likes audio books. She says that who the reader is really important. She loves the audio version of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRDicon, read by Sissy Spacek. Years ago I heard the audio version of Anna Quindlan's BLACK AND BLUE. I don't remember who the reader was (and couldn't find it for sure when I searched just now), but her voice was raspy and haunting. It was a stunning interpretation.

Dylan Baker is the reader this time, and his reading voice is soothing and at the same time gives life to Steinbeck's writing and the Joads. I like his interpretation of the characters (Tom Joad, Jim Casy, Pa Joad, even Ma Joad).

I don't do audio books very often and have usually quite enjoyed them. It's a nice change. I didn't even get halfway through THE GRAPES OF WRATHicon on my recent longer drives, so am listening on my way to and from work. I look forward to getting back to the story when I get in the car. I think I may have to explore some more books on audio!

Have you heard any stunning books on audio?

Clicking on the book cover will take you to Amazon's site for the book. Clicking on the underlined titles will take you to Barnes and Noble. You can purchase books through those links, which helps the blog. You can also "like" us on our facebook page, NOT the New York Times Book Review, or subscribe directly to the blog via email on this page. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment