Saturday, February 19, 2011

Customers 18

A customer came to register to buy a book. She had a few questions about e-reader devices. She was in her 50's or 60's, gray blond hair and a light blue hat.

"I haven't decided which e-reader to get, or even if to get one," she said.

We have two models, a color one and one with a black and white reading screen. "If I were getting one, I'd get the black and white one. The color one does email and facebook and the color screen is really great, but I HAVE a computer. The only thing I'd want to do on another device is to read. So I'd get the black and white one," I said.

"What do you read on?", she asked.

"Books. I, uh, read books."

"Ah," she said. "I hope there are enough of you left."

***************************

A woman in her 50's, dark brown hair with a black sweater and a beaded necklace came up to me as I was putting magazines away.

"I'm looking for Clean Eating magazine, do you have it?"

I take her over to the section and hand her the latest issue of Clean Eating.

"No, that's not it," she said. "There's a different Clean Eating magazine. My friend had it, it's bigger, she uses it all the time. It might be a special issue."

"All right, let me look it up," I said. We head over to the computer. Magazines have a separate look-up system than books. There is only one Clean Eating magazine that comes up, the one I gave her. "There is only one Clean Eating magazine...is the one you're thinking of possibly some sort of Clean Eating reference sort of thing?"

"Yes!"

"Well, I think it might be a book put out by the same people..."

"No. It's a magazine," she said.

"Okay, well, there is only one Clean Eating magazine that is in our system, and this is it," I said, pointing to the one in her hand. "and you said it isn't the one you're looking for."

"It's a magazine, it's in the magazine section," she said again.

"Since no other Clean Eating magazine is coming up in the system, I'd like to look in our system for a Clean Eating book. Just in case there is one."

"All right," she said.

Sure enough, there is a book put out by the editors of Clean Eating. We have it. "There is one, let me take you over there." I take her over there and show it to her.

"Yes, that's it!," she says.

The Best of Clean Eating: Over 200 Mouthwatering Recipes to Keep You Lean and Healthy

"I have another question," she says. "There's a cookbook. I don't know the title or the author, don't you hate customers like me? I think it starts with 'L', the author's name starts with 'L'. It was over here right by Jamie Oliver." She heads over to one of the cookbook bays.

"If the author's last name starts with 'L', it would be over here, as the section is alphabetical by author. Jamie Oliver is over here..." (sort of close to the "L's" but not really)

"I think it's 'L-o-u-r-something'," she said. I want my husband to see it. It was here by Jamie Oliver.

I look in the cookbooks in all of the L's and by Jamie Oliver. I don't see anything even close. "I'm not seeing it in the L's or over here by Jamie Oliver," I said.

"It has to do with seafood," she said.

"Well, there's a small seafood section over here," I point to another bay. "And if it's say, Italian, those would be over here," I said.

"Hmm. No, it was right by Jamie Oliver," she said.

"How about I try to look it up...so you'd spell it L-o-u-r...?"

"It's Louresant, or Lorscant or something like that," she said.

I try all sorts of spellings and get nothing on the computer. "I'm not finding it," I tell her.

"My sister-in-law told me about it, it's from a website. The website is S-N-O-O-T-H."

"Snooth.com?", I ask.

"Yes, that's it."

I search on the internet and snooth.com is a wine website, I see no books at all, cookbook or otherwise. I show her the website. "I'm not seeing any cookbooks here," I tell her.

"My husband is here, I really wanted him to see this book. Darn. I'll have to ask my sister-in-law about it and I'll have to come back in."

"That might be helpful. You can always call us, too, if you get more information," I tell her.

Thanks for stopping by the blog! You can send email to: 2of3RsATgmailDOTcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment