Sunday, August 15, 2010

Customers 9

A man, gray, crew cut hair, khaki shorts, polo shirt, came up to the registers and seemed to be looking around at all the other registers.

"What are you looking for?", I asked.

"Any of those paper bookmarks. Got any other ones?" The only free ones we had were featuring Lucy Monroe's 50th's book, Close Quarters.

Close Quarters


"I don't want one with some guys pecs on it," he said.

I laughed. "Unfortunately, that's the only one we have right now. Sorry."

"That's okay," he said. "I know I'm not the target audience for that one."

"So, not gay, then?" (I wanted to say, but didn't)

********************************

A young guy in his early 20's, came up to the register. His hair was in his face (as is the style these days), he had a knit cap on his head, lots of tattoos, was wearing a t-shirt and carrying a messenger bag. He was purchasing one of the Last Man graphic novels.

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

I asked him if he was part of our store's member program, which works best if people shop with us fairly regularly.

"Um, no. I don't buy books that often. I'm just getting this one 'cuz I lost a bet."

"A bet?," I asked. "Was the bet related to the graphic novel?" I was curious.

"No. My friend is going to be surprised that I am even following through in getting this for him. He said he was going to call this girl and I bet him 'cuz I didn't think he would. And he did. So I lost." He looked a little sheepish.

"And now he gets the book. Well, good for you. And good that he called the girl, right?"

"Yeah." He smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment