Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cowboy, Wills and Kostova

I just finished reading Cowboy and Wills, about the autistic boy and the dog who helped him. Of course it was inspiring, especially around the gifts pets/animals bring to our lives, how we can love them and the amazing love and countless other things they give back, which for Wills was a huge leap of independence.

I wanted to keep reading and find out how Cowboy helped Wills, how Wills started to learn better how to navigate his world, and was not disappointed. It was a quick read, and satisfying.

Yes, I still want a dog.

Planning on going to see Elizabeth Kostova tonight who wrote The Historian which came out several years ago. Another take on Dracula and vampires, it was dark and mysterious and so creepy that sometimes I had to put it down for a few days because I was too creeped out to keep reading. I really enjoyed it.

She has a new book out, called The Swan Theives. It's big, close to 600 pages (I think), I haven't decided if I want to read it or not. It seems so different than The Historian...and while I really enjoyed The Historian and the Dracula vampire thing, the story itself was kind of convoluted, jumping from time to time in a not perfectly logical pattern (at least to me). I think I have to be ready to immerse myself in another one like that, and I'm not sure I am at the moment. Maybe seeing her at the reading will sway me one way or the other.

I still have Zadie Smith's essays on my nightstand...

No comments:

Post a Comment