Monday, January 9, 2012

Required Reading for Women's Studies Class


One of my co-workers is taking a Women's Studies class in college. Here is her required reading list for the class:

THE HANDMAID'S TALE
icon by Margaret Atwood

THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS
icon by Rebecca Skloot

PEYTON PLACE
icon by Grace Metalious

A WOMAN IN BERLIN
icon by Anonymous

THE INVENTION OF HETEROSEXUALITY
icon by Jonathan Ned Katz

The only book on that list that I've read is THE HANDMAID'S TALE, which was dark and wonderful.

It looks like a great reading list! The one that interests me the most is THE INVENTION OF HETEROSEXUALITY. I believe that we are all on a continuum of of sexual preference, some of us strongly preferring one gender or the other, with many of us are somewhere in the middle. I'm interested to see how this author addresses hetero- and homo-sexuality.

     

Maybe I'll ask her if I can borrow it after she's done with the class.

This is the first blog post using Barnes and Noble's affiliate program links. Thanks again to Observant Co-Worker, who reminded me that I really needed to start representing Barnes and Noble since I work for them. Clicking on the underlined book title will take you to Barnes and Noble's page for that book. Clicking on the picture of the book cover will take you to Amazon's page for THE INVENTION OF HETEROSEXUALITY, as I don't know how to make links with book covers through Barnes and Noble. Yet.

Thanks for stopping by the blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment